Want to share this resource with your colleagues? Print our PDF describing the resources the Oncofertility Consortium® provides urologists.
Fertility preservation discussions should occur with all patients of reproductive age before treatment starts when infertility is a potential risk of therapy or disease symptom. Discussions should address whether fertility preservation might have an impact on successful disease treatment. Those interested in fertility preservation, including ambivalent patients, should be referred to reproductive specialists and the discussion documented in the medical record. Distress about potential infertility warrants a referral to a psychosocial provider.
The Oncofertility Consortium® provides a variety of oncofertility resources for urologists.
Join the National Physicians Cooperative, a nationwide network of health care providers and fertility preservation centers who share the common goal to protect and preserve reproductive health through the continuum of care of care and across the lifespan of patients.
National Physicians Cooperative Membership Benefits
- Access to a national referral network for patients seeking fertility preservation
- Information on how to establish a multidisciplinary Fertility Preservation program
- Training in the best practices, including technology updates and practice management
- Templates and assistance for obtaining IRB approval for participation in multicenter NPC studies
- Access to materials and tools as needed to support clinical studies
- Compensation for the time and materials required to freeze tissues for the research pool
- Invitations to Virtual Grand Rounds, annual meetings, special events
- Information about the financial aspects of fertility preservation
- Use of a Fertility Preservation Brochure tailored to your program
Implement a Fertility Preservation Program
The Oncofertility Consortium and National Physicians Cooperative provide resources to assist providers intereted in implementing a fertility preservation program.
Subscribe to the Oncofertility Consortium Blog
Stay up to date on fertility preservation news, research break-throughs, and publications.
Education and Communication Strategies
The Decision Tool Web Portal is a library of existing oncofertility resources designed to help urologists navigate fertility preservation conversations. Available Resources include:
- Communication strategies for discussing fertility preservation options with patients of all ages and their family members
- Decision tools and aids designed to guide patient fertility preservation discussions
- ASCO and ASRM clinical guidelines and recommendations
- Information on existing and experimental fertility preservation techniques and technology
- Print and online patient educational resources
Each patient needs an individualized consultation to determine the best and most mature technology available in their unique circumstances and according to their informed choice. To refer a patient for a fertility preservation consultation, call the FERTline at 312-503-FERT or 866-708-FERT and print out this flyer to give to your patients.
The Oncofertility Consortium® works with many advocacy organizations and support groups to provide young cancer patients with support and assistance regarding fertility, reproductive health, and quality of life throughout survivorship. You may be interested in connecting patients with community and online resources.
Patients are often concerned about the cost of fertility preservation procedures. To learn more about oncofertility and insurance coverage, read Incorporating Insurance Education into the Fertility Preservation Process from Oncofertility Communication (2014) or check out the Oncofertility Consortium® blog post on Insurance Coverage for Fertility Preservation.